19201 E. Main Street, Suite 203, Parker, Colorado 80134
Contact us for a free consultation 720-608-5634

Child Custody Lawyer Protects Your Parental Rights in Parker

Helping parents maintain strong bonds with their children

When considering custody issues, the court focuses on the interests of your child. The law firm of Jeffrey R. Edelman, P.C. makes sure the court understands how your child will benefit when you fully exercise your parental rights. Whether you are going through a divorce or are an unmarried parent, we help you protect those rights that are so important to you and your child.

How does the court determine the division of parental responsibilities?

Colorado courts now use the phrase "parental responsibilities" instead of the term "custody." Parental responsibilities include parenting time (visitation) and decision-making authority (regarding education, healthcare and religion, for example). The court assigns parental responsibilities based on the best interests of the child. The judge considers many factors, including the age of the child and prior parental involvement. In many cases, major decision-making responsibilities are granted to both parents, and the parent with whom the child lives makes the day-to-day decisions.

What happens if a parent doesn't follow the parenting plan?

In Colorado, the court can appoint a parenting coordinator and decision-maker to help the parties during any stalemate. If the parents fail to abide by their parenting plan. The coordinator helps the parents communicate with each other. If you run into problems with a parenting plan, put us to work. Our goal is to get your problem resolved as swiftly as possible, so you can develop a positive parenting routine for your children.

Do I have parental rights if I am not married to my child's mother?

Unmarried fathers generally have the same rights and responsibilities as divorced fathers, so long as the unwed father establishes paternity with the state. This is often done voluntarily, if both parents sign an affidavit confirming paternity. If one parent doesn't cooperate, paternity can be established through the court system through DNA tests which are now virtually 100% accurate.

Once paternity is established, the father has the same parental rights and responsibilities as a divorced father, including custody. Whether you wish to establish paternity or prove that you are not the father, our legal team guides you through the process.

Let our Colorado child custody lawyer work for you

The law firm of Jeffrey R. Edelman, P.C. protects your parental rights. Our offices are at 19201 E. Main St. in Parker, with free parking available. Contact us at 720-608-5634 or online for a free consultation.

Contact Form

Contact us

In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit, or call 720-608-5634.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.